Whether you define success for Pennsylvania as a stronger economy, reduced crime, successful students, or thriving communities, high-quality early childhood education is the key. So what can you as a businessperson do to help increase awareness and expand resources for high-quality early learning? To start, you could:
- Familiarize yourself with the benefits of high-quality early learning programs. Understanding the benefits of these programs and telling others about them will help create communities of children who are ready for school. Check out our “Research & Partners” tab to learn more.
- Take advantage of Pennsylvania’s Pre-K tax credit program. This program awards tax credits to businesses that support early learning organizations to help low-to-middle income families gain greater access to quality Pre-K programs through scholarship assistance. Click here to apply.
- Educate employees on the value of early childhood education. In fact, our Commission can help you with this through our employee awareness program, where we provide employers – at no cost – with an informational video and PowerPoint that could be shown to employees at new employee orientations, Lunch and Learns, or another type of event. We also have flyers and information that could be posted to company intranets or used in newsletters. To learn more, contact the Commission’s administrative coordinator, Gina Langley, at email@example.com .
- Adopt policies in your business that support working parents. When possible, implement programs and policies that help your employees to access and become more engaged in their children’s learning and development. For ideas, visit the website of the Families and Work Institute, a non-profit, non-partisan research organization that studies the changing workforce, community, and family life.
- Convey to legislators and policymakers your support for public investment in early education. As someone who does not have a vested interest in the early childhood education field, business leaders make powerful messengers in support of public investment for proven programs with a high return on investment.
- To locate contact information for your state legislators, visit http://www.legis.state.pa.us and enter your address in the “Find My Legislator” box on the left-hand side of the page.
- Communicate the evidence behind quality early learning in personal communications, at meetings and events held by business and civic organizations, and through opinion editorials, letters-to-the-editor, and social media. Like us on Facebook for an easy way to share why you support these programs.
- Partner with other businesses and organizations in your area to increase quality early learning and child development capacity in your region. To be connected with a regional business team in your area, contact the Commission’s executive director, Carey Harris, at firstname.lastname@example.org.